About Access Exchange International
Access Exchange International is a not-for-profit and non-governmental agency which promotes inclusive public transport for persons with disabilities in Africa, Asia, the Americas, and eastern Europe. We assist stakeholders in less-wealthy regions as they promote, plan, and implement inclusive bus, rail, and paratransit services for seniors and passengers with disabilities.
We currently assist
- Through our publications (go to RESOURCES AND WEBLINKS)
- With introductory or specialized workshops on all aspects of accessible transport. AEI has led workshops and provided presentations in nearly 60 cities in 30 countries outside the USA since our founding in 1991.
- With focused consultation and services to meet specific needs of stakeholders and development agencies concerning accessible transport in Latin America, Asia, and Africa
Contact AEI to learn more or to receive an emailed or print version of our semi-annual Newsletter or other publications.
How our friends can assist AEI
- We invite colleagues around the world to send information and photographs for our newsletters, while commenting on projects, events, and trends in our field.
- Friends in North America and elsewhere make our work possible through donations. The great majority of AEI's funding comes from individual donors and most of our staff services are donated as a public service by our Executive Director and others. USA donors are advised that AEI is tax-exempt under Article 501(c)(3) of the USA's Internal Revenue Code and donations are tax deductible to the full extent permitted by law. Go to DONATE TO AEI to make a donation through PayPal or for our address to send us a check by regular mail.
How we are governed
We are governed by a Board of Directors that meets quarterly.
Current members of our Board of Directors are
- President: Richard Weiner, Chairman of the Board, Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates
- Vice-President: Marc Soto, General Manager of San Francisco's paratransit services, operated by Transdev
- Secretary: Bruce Oka, former Commissioner, San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency
- Treasurer: Lucy Crain, Clinical Professor of Pediatrics Emeritus, University of California, San Francisco
- Cheryl Damico, past Chair, San Francisco Paratransit Coordinating Council
- Ike Nnaji, ADA Compliance Officer, Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART)
- Tom Rickert, Executive Director of AEI*
- Peter Straus, Director of Service Planning, San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (retired)
- Susan Worts, retired professional in real property asset management
* AEIís Executive Director, Tom Rickert, served as Paratransit Coordinator and as Manager of Accessible Services for San Franciscoís public transportation agency. He stepped down in 1990 to found Access Exchange International. For many years he was Co-Chair of the International Sub-Committee within the Committee on Accessible Transportation and Mobility of the USAís Transportation Research Board. Additional background information is available upon request.
Note: AEIs assistance is limited to the work described in this website. Please note that AEI does not provide accessible tourism services, although we strongly support the role of accessible tourism in the promotion of inclusive transportation. For information on this topic, go to "accessible tourism" on a search engine.
Accessibility Upgrade: WiserUsability.com